Director of Operations
The Director of Operations position is responsible for developing, implementing, and delivering the required project client services in the most effective and efficient manner possible, with the support of the Accounting, Preconstruction, and Project Management Departments for existing/ potential clients. The Director of Operations indirectly oversees multiple projects of varies sizes, costs, and durations. This position is responsible for generating business, assisting in negotiating contracts, profit/loss of assigned projects, and supervision of Project Management staff. The Director of Operations has a support staff including Project Managers and will work closely with the Marketing/Process Manager in the direction of Project Coordinators. This position will report directly to the President and will serve as a member of the executive team.
- Responsible for high level oversight of multiple projects, as assigned. Be involved from proposal through to project completion. Oversees Project Management team and partners to bring in more business, as well as manage existing projects effectively.
- Responsible for leading the Project Management department and ensuring project completion within budget schedule and in conformance with specifications. This job is a combination of business development, client development, and high- level project oversight
- Reviews bids, documents, and data for the project; assist in establishing of schedules and budgets for contract obligations. Participates in contract negotiations and Estimating handover meetings.
- Takes the initiative in working with all departments including cost/scheduling, procurement, quality assurance, construction, labor relations, finance and accounting, safety, and other services required to be performed for the project to achieve an integrated project team approach to the work.
- Initiates and directs the planning and assists in the development of the project scope, procedure, budget, and overall project schedule.
- Reviews all major purchase orders, change orders and contracts/sub-contracts, and reviews change order controls to assure that all change orders are current and adequate.
- Reviews and approves all project cost/ profit forecasts; schedules and reconciles all commitments that exceed assigned budgets.
- Oversees all client contacts and maintains working relationships at all levels throughout the period of projects. Monitors and controls all contractual commitments to assure that all work is being performed in accordance with the specifications, drawings and terms of the contract.
- Provides department direction, including budgeting, business planning, cost forecasting, and overall financial management of jobs.
- Develops skills and mentors project management and coordinate employees, including conducting employee evaluations.
- Ensures Project Management staff is executing company policies and procedures on a regular basis, which includes but not limited to:
- Project buyouts are kept within pace of construction
- Estimating has coordinated with Project Management with initial cost report and turnover meetings
- Project Management staff has identified, tracked, and prepared long lead items, schedule of values, and project schedule
- Project Management staff is documenting all project correspondence, including but not limited to; RFI’s, change orders, upholding and enforcing codes, and safety specifications
- Returns all email and phone communications with a sense of urgency and timely manner
- Coordinates with Project Managers and Superintendents on any issues regarding Sub- Contractors
- Conducts quality inspections and proper meetings with Project Management staff on a regular basis to facilitate operations department efficiently
- Attends mandatory Executive and Departmental meeting(s)
- Commercial Project Management and Estimating
- Results Driven.
- Problem Solving/Cost Analysis
- Strong Math, Communication, and Time Management Skills
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture, or Construction management or relevant experience in lieu of education.
- Computer Skills; proficient in MS office, required. Sage (formerly Timberline) and Job Cost software, preferred.